Choose Safe Toys For Your Pets This Holiday Season
Safe Toys and Gifts Months reminds us to be mindful of our pet toys.
Now that the holiday season is officially among is, it is time to start shopping for all of our friends and family, and checking off all of our holiday wish lists. But while you are making your list and checking it twice, make sure you don’t forget your furry family members this holiday season! Just like us, our dogs, cats, hamsters and fish are probably anxiously awaiting what will be in their stocking on Christmas morning.
However, while it is exciting to buy our pets cute new doggy sweaters and fun catnip toys that they will play with all year long, it’s also important that you are considering the safety of your pet’s toys while you are picking them out! December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month, and that goes for pet’s gifts as well.
Here are just a few safety factors to consider when shopping for toys for your pets:
- Pay attention to size: When it comes to pet toys, size matters. Many dogs tear and shear their toys with their premolars and molars, which are located in the back of the mouth. Therefore, any toy that reaches that far back can be expected to be shredded and torn to bits. Therefore, make sure that you are looking for toys that do not go this far back if you don’t want your dog shredding them.
- Use your senses: If you are shopping for a new pet toy and you notice that the toy smells very strongly of chemicals, toxic ingredients or dye, it probably isn’t safe for your dog to ingest. Also be sure to avoid any toys that are treated with stain guards or fire retardants, as they can contain formaldehyde along with a number of other dangerous ingredients.
- Research the company: There are a number of great companies out there that make pet-safe, organic, chemical free dog toys. However, there are also a lot that do not. Therefore, do your research when you are buying a toy and find out more about the company’s policies when it comes to making pet toys.
Now that you have a better idea of what kind of pet toys are safe to purchase for your furry friends, it’s time to go stock up on some must-have pet gifts to put under your tree! Here are a few fun pet gift ideas that you can be sure your pet will love:
- Personalized food dishes and food mats
- A brand new bed (they even make tempurpedic beds for pets!)
- A basket full of their favorite treats
- A donation in their honor to a local homeless pets shelter
- Professional pet photos to share with your loved ones
Do you have any favorite gifts to give your pets around the holidays? Be sure to share your ideas with us in the comments below! Also be sure to share your pet holiday photos with us on our Texas Alliance for Homeless Pets Facebook page. Happy Holidays!
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Texas Alliance for Homeless Pets takes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.